A. Assuming the worst has happened, and you have found a leak inside your property, the first thing you should do is turn off all stop taps (sometimes called stop cocks or stop valves).

The stop tap controls the water entering your home and is often sited under the kitchen sink, but it depends on where the water supply pipe (or service point) enters the property. Sometimes you will have an additional stop valve in your loft or airing cupboard.

A good tip is to find these stop valves and label them before any plumbing emergencies occur. Try to gently turn them off and back on again. If it won’t budge, don’t force it - you’ll need to get a qualified plumber to replace it.

The next thing you should do is open all cold water taps so that the pipework and storage system drains quickly, this will help to reduce the damage. Do not turn on hot taps (unless the leak is on the hot water). Turn off the central heating system and, if it uses a solid fuel boiler, allow the fire to die out. Switch off any electric immersion heaters, and then call a qualified plumber.

To find a qualified plumber use our search for WIAPS Approved Plumber or use a WaterSafe approved plumbing business. 

If you have a leak on your supply pipe outside of your home check with your water supplier as they may be able to help repair it.

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience with Water Regs UK. Some are essential to provide website functions and ensure the website is secure. We also use cookies to help us understand how people use the site and to make improvements. Click "Accept All" to enable recommended settings or click "Manage cookies" to adjust your settings. For more details, see our Cookie Policy.