Backflow Protection: FAQs

What backflow protection is needed for premises on a common supply?

In some cases, premises such as blocks of flats, terraced housing, caravans, holiday homes, office blocks, industrial units and student accommodation are supplied via a common supply or distribution pipe.

To prevent backflow between these separately occupied properties in addition to point of use protection the local water undertaker may require the installation of what is sometimes referred to as secondary protection. This is in effect a form of wholesite protection to protect the supplies to neighbouring properties as well as the main.

Although the level of protection required will be determined by the local water undertaker, typically a double check valve is used for this purpose.




To improve this information please give us your feedback >

Due to your Privacy Preferences, you'll need to enable reCaptcha cookies before completing this form.


Uncontrolled if downloaded. This is informative, non-statutory guidance and intended for general guidance purposes only; it is subject to change.

Compliance with this information should not be relied upon as guaranteeing no enforcement action will be taken by water undertakers. Water Regs UK accepts no liability for loss, indirect or consequential loss arising from or in connection with this guidance document.

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience with Water Regs UK. Some are essential to provide website functions and ensure the website is secure. We also use cookies to help us understand how people use the site and to make improvements. Click "Accept All" to enable recommended settings or click "Manage cookies" to adjust your settings. For more details, see our Cookie Policy.