Certificates of Compliance

As a member of WIAPS, you have put your hand up to be the best. You have completed Water Regulations training, and to show your commitment to comply with these very important Regulations, and to help protect public health, you have registered as an Approved Contractor. But are you meeting your legal obligations as far as self-certification is concerned?

Notification exemptions

In addition to the requirement to give advance notification of work, approved contractors must also self-certify their work by issuing a certificate of compliance (work completed certificate). As a benefit to customer using approved contractor's, there are certain works that do not require advanced notification when undertaken, and certified, by an approved contractor, speeding up the process.

Be the best

Water companies promote the use of approved plumbers as you are fully qualified and have a knowledge of the water regulations. This gives customers reassurance that you are competent and you will protect their water supply by ensuring your installations comply with the regulations.

The main reassurance you can give your customer is to issue them with a certificate on completion of the work stating that the work complies with the regulations. This is also a legal requirement under Regulation 6. Where the work requires notification, you must also send a copy to the water company supplying the property.

What do certificates look like?

To help you, WIAPS produces Certificates of Compliance in two formats:

  1. an ePDF form which can be completed electronically before issuing - download a copy of the electronic certificate here
  2. triplicate book of certificates, but these are subject to terms and conditions. Replacement books can be ordered from WIAPS – 0333 207 9030 option 1.

So be the best!

Stand out from the average plumber down the road and be proud to issue your customer with a certificate for your work. This will raise the profile of Approved Contractors such as you!

Are you completing certificates correctly?

In order to ensure you are filling out Certificates of Compliance correctly, WIAPS has produced a guide, to help you understand when a certificate is required, and also how to complete a certificate correctly.

You can download a copy here:

Remember you must only issue a certificate when the work is within the scope of work as defined in the WIAPS terms and conditions.

Scope of work

Plumbers: Approved Plumbers can issue certificates of compliance for their work on all parts of a plumbing system, from the external supply pipe right up to the kitchen and bathroom taps.

Groundworkers: Approved Groundworkers can issue certificates of compliance for their work on the supply pipe (the underground pipe) supplying your property, up to the internal stop valve.

Catering Installers: Approved Catering Installers can issue certificates of compliance for the installation of commercial kitchen equipment.

Point of Use Installers: Approved Point of Use Installers can can issue certificates of compliance for the installation of cold water chillers connected directly to the mains.

RPZ Valve Testers: Are only approved for the commissioning and testing RPZ backflow prevention valves. They are not able to issue certificates of compliance for their work unless the approved RPZ Valve Tester is separately approved as an Approved Contractor of another sector of WIAPS, such as an approved plumber.

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience with Water Regs UK. Some are essential to provide website functions and ensure the website is secure. We also use cookies to help us understand how people use the site and to make improvements. Click "Accept All" to enable recommended settings or click "Manage cookies" to adjust your settings. For more details, see our Cookie Policy.